Heat lamps cited as reason for three recent house fires
A woman died in a house fire in Marlow early Saturday (April 29, 2023) morning, confirmed Marlow Fire Chief Jason Miller. Her name is not being released at this time. Miller said this is the second structure fire the department has responded to, and both were single-wide trailers. Fires started in both homes in similar circumstances. Miller said a heat lamp used to keep baby chicks warm appears to be the reason for each fire. The Oklahoma State Fire Marshal’s office was also called in to investigate.
Miller said most people don’t realize that over the course of a few hours, heat lamps clamped to a box or plastic tote can eventually loosen and fall. He described it as micro-movements, normally undetected by humans. The constant motions, coupled with the clamps on a plastic tote, are not a good combination.
Miller said the call came in to dispatch services at 4:50 a.m. Saturday. There were two engines and a brush truck on the scene, with 12 guys fighting the fire. This is the third home fire in the county that was the result of a heat lamp. His best advice is to find another alternative to using a heat lamp in the house attached to a plastic tote for keeping the chicks warm.
A home located between Marlow and Duncan was also destroyed in a fire in March.
Please support the Marlow Review by subscribing today!